Its been a while since I have written about The Simpsons and I thought that I haven’t actually listed off some of my favourite ones ever made. So today, here is my list of favourites. Please feel free to write hat your favorite ones are too.
These are in no particular order of loved, these are just 10 of the most special ones to me.
1) Simpsons Roasting on an open fire – OK, so this HAD to be on the list. It was the very first proper episode that came out. It was the introduction to the whole family, its now cult Christmas viewing and it introduces “Santa’s little helper”
2) Lisa’s first word – Elizabeth Taylor gets the last word of the episode. ***Spoiler*** its also the first time that Maggie speaks. It has an amazing plot, has some great gags and you find out how they get the house that is iconic.
3) ANY EPISODE THAT FEATURES HOMERS MUM!! The ageing hippy has been in several episodes, coming in and out of Homers life because she’s on the run. It finally comes to an end when she dies later on in the series. The first time she left was the first time they ended the episode on a sad note. Fox even refused to show promos at the end in case it ruined the ending.
4) Lisa’s Blues – BLEEDING GUMS MURPHY!!!! He is my favourite side character in the whole series. I’ve said before in a previous post about my connection to this episode, and how I can’t watch it without crying. It sums up clinical depression quite well and the relationship between Lisa and Marge in this episode just kicks you in the heart.
5) And Maggie make three – “DO IT FOR HER!!!!!”
6) Weekend at Burnsie’s – The pro cannabis episode for people who don’t know the episode. Homer gets a promotion because he’s so wasted he thinks that everything Mr Burns is funny as fuck. If you live in a country where weed is legal, smoke a bowl and watch this episode. You will not regret it. Also whilst I’m here, get high and watch the next one on the list.
7) El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage Of Homer) – Mr Cash , Chilli cook offs and the most visually pleasing episode in the entire series.
8) Homers phobia – One of the most queerest episodes of the Simpsons (and let’s face facts, its pretty queer). This episode they talk about why Homer is homophobic and how he over comes it when he thinks that Bart is in fact gay. This episode paves the way to talking about how more of the characters are gay /queer and even later on in the series shows how far Homer comes when he performs same sex marriages.
9) Bart the daredevil – Stunts, jokes, monster trucks and the introduction to the Springfield gauge gag. Also it was the first episode to show blood and that Homer was actually hurt.
10) Treehouse of Horror – The mini episodes are amazing however my favourites include the Shining skit, the Jerry Springer pisstake and of course the attack of the dolphins. The treehouse episodes are often well thought out and are often linked together. They are a great part of Halloween.
So what are your favourite episodes and why?